Meaning of Scientific Recruitment and Selection
A scientific recruitment and selection process involves job analysis, advertisements, written tests, personal interviews, medical examination, final selection, etc. It is conducted by different types of experts. It involves a lot of time, energy and money (cost). Even then most organisations use a scientific selection policy to select their employees. This is because of its various advantages. Its main advantage is that it avoids the "Tragedy of Misfits" and it selects the "Right man for the Right Job." The employees who are selected through this policy are the greatest assets of the organisation. They have an unlimited potential. They help the organisation to achieve its objective easily, quickly and economically. The success of the organisation depends on them.
Image Credits © Dr. Sameer Akrani.
Importance of Scientific Recruitment and Selection
So, the scientific selection policy is given importance due to these reasons:-
- Right job for the Right Person : Scientific selection policy helps to find the right man for the right job. It also helps to find the right job for the right person.
- Reduces Labour Absenteeism and Turnover : Labour absenteeism refers to the employees remaining absent from regular duty (work). Labour turnover refers to the employees leaving the company. Scientific selection policy helps to reduce both labour absenteeism and labour turnover. This is because it helps to select the right candidates for the right jobs. These candidates get job satisfaction, and they have a high morale. So they will not remain absent, and they will not leave the company.
- Reduces wastages, damages and accidents : The scientific selection policy results in the selection of qualified and interested employees. These employees will be very careful while handling machines and materials. This will reduce wastage, damages and accidents.
- Reduces Training and Supervision Costs : The scientific selection policy results in the selection of qualified and interested employees. These employees require less training and supervision. This will reduce the training and supervision cost.
- Improves Goodwill of the Company : Scientific selection policy results in the selection of interested employees. These employees will maintain very good relations with the shareholders, customers, public etc. This will improve the goodwill of the company.
- High Morale : The employees who are selected through scientific selection policy do get job satisfaction. This will increase their morale. High morale brings many benefits to the company.
- High Efficiency and Productivity : The employees selected through this policy will perform their jobs very efficiently. This will increase the productivity & profitability of the organisation.