Performance Appraisal of Employees
Performance appraisal is a systematic evaluation of the employee's performance at work. It is done by the superiors or other experts.
Image Credits © Joakim K. E. Johansson.
Performance appraisal has many other names. It is also called as Merit Rating or Employee Rating or Service Rating.
Definition of Performance Appraisal
According to the Professor of Management, Sir Wayne Cascio,
"Performance appraisal is the systematic description of an employee's job relevant strengths and weaknesses."
Meaning of Performance Appraisal
In a Performance appraisal, the employee's merits such as initiative, regularity, loyalty, personality, etc., are compared with others. Then each employee is rated or ranked. That is, he is given a particular rank such as First Rank, Second Rank, etc. So if an employee has the best attendance then he is given First Rank in attendance and so on.
Terms in Performance Appraisal
Terms involved in performance appraisal are:-
- Rater : The person who evaluates the employees is called the Rater or Appraiser.
- Ratee : The employee who is rated is called the Ratee.
- Rating : The process of performance appraisal is called Rating.
Methods of Performance Appraisal
The techniques or methods of performance appraisal are:-
Articles on Performance Appraisal
Related articles on performance appraisal:-
- Importance of performance appraisal.
- Limitations of performance appraisal.
- 360 Degree performance appraisal.