Meaning of Tall Organisation
If the span of control is narrow, then there will be many management levels. That is, there will be many managers. This organisation structure is called "Tall Organisation Structure."
Diagram of Tall Organisation
Following diagram gives a sample visual preview of how a Tall Organisation Structure looks like. Click on following image for a zoomed or enlarged view.
Advantages of Tall Organisation
Advantages / Merits / Benefits of Tall Organisation are :-
- The quality of performance will improve due to close supervision.
- Discipline will improve.
- Superior - Subordinate relations will improve.
- Control and Supervision will become easy and convenient.
- The manager gets more time to plan and organise the future activities.
- The efforts of subordinates can be easily coordinated.
- Tall Organisation encourages development of staff.
- There is mutual trust between superior and subordinates.
Disadvantages of Tall Organisation
Disadvantages / Demerits / Limitations of Tall Organisation are :-
- Tall Organisation creates many levels of management.
- There are many delays and distortion in communication.
- Decisions and actions are delayed.
- It is very costly because there are many managers. The managers are paid high salaries.
- It is difficult to coordinate the activities of different levels.
- There is strict supervision. So the subordinates do not have any freedom.
- Tall Organisation is not suitable for routine and standardised jobs.
- Here, managers may became more dominating.
Articles on Tall Organisation
Following are two related articles on Tall Organisation Structure :-