Client agency relationship in advertising
The client agency relationship starts when the client appoints the advertising agency for making an ad. It continues as long as the agency provides services to the client. Such a relation should always be cordial. There should be mutual trust, confidence and understanding between the two parties. This is because the basic objective of both parties is the same, i.e. to make a successful ad.
Lack of mutual trust will be harmful to both the parties. It is, therefore, necessary to maintain cordial relations between the client and agency.
- Meaningful two-way communication is required for maintaining friendly client-agency relationship.
- For maintaining a good relationship both parties have to make special efforts.
- The approach of give-and-take is required for maintaining relations over a long period.
Important guidelines or suggestions for maintaining a cordial client agency relationship are grouped under following three categories:
- Suggestions for both the parties (client and agency).
- Guidelines for the client (advertiser), and
- Advice to the ad agency.
Suggestions for both parties to maintain client agency relationship are as follows:
- There should be a mutual understanding between client and agency.
- Misunderstanding or confusion, if any, between the two parties should be improved quickly through direct talks.
- The agency should work sincerely and honestly to bring a success to the client's ad campaign.
- Both parties should follow the terms and conditions of the contract properly.
- There should be a good communication between the two parties. Hence, meetings between client and agency shall be arranged regularly.
- There should be good relations between them.
Guidelines for the advertiser to preserve client agency relationship:
- Treat the agency with courtesy at all times and never hurt its ego.
- Provide all possible information about the product which is advertised and about the organisation. This helps the agency to make a better ad.
- Don't unnecessarily bargain for the fees charged by the agency.
- Motivate the agency to do a good work. Its charges such as media bills, fees and other costs must be paid well in time. The client should not wait for the agency to remind him about the payment dues.
- Don't change the agency without a proper reason.
- Approve the proposals submitted by the agency. The client should not argue without a proper reason.
- Give sufficient time to the agency to develop a good ad campaign. The client should not pressurize it to work quickly. He should avoid giving deadlines.
- Reduce disputes to a minimum.
- Finalize in advance the charges for a particular ad campaign.
- Give the agency all necessary information that will help it to make a good ad campaign.
Advice to the agency to keep a good client-agency relationship are listed below:
- The agency should work hard for the success of the client's ad campaign.
- It should make a very good advertising plan and must implement it efficiently and effectively. However, first it must get the approval from the client.
- It is the duty of the account executive of the agency to keep the client happy and satisfied.
- It should not charge unreasonably high rates.
- It should not make ads for the client's competitor.
- It should get all the information from the market that will help to create better ads for the client.
- Discuss the ad fees with the client in advance to avoid disputes.
- Disclose to the client the names of the team members (employees) that are working on his ad campaign.
- Inform the client about any changes at the agency.
- Never hurt the client's ego. The agency should always provide timely services to the client and try its best to satisfy him.
So keeping a good client agency relationship in advertising is crucial for the success of both parties.